Friday, August 31, 2007

Pub owner admits his pokie machines are evil


In my opinion they are a social evil and should not be in pubs," he said. "I would get rid of them all together but it wouldn't be a level playing field if the other pubs in the area kept theirs, so I have to keep them."
"It hurts me so much to see the effect on the people using them," he said, "their intensity, excitement,the belief, the sheer systemic disappointment when they lose everything they have for that week ... the absolute despondency when what was hope is jerked back to reality by the knowledge that there is now no money to feed the kids ... these machines are just demonic," and a tear came to his eyes, "but I am a businessman, I have to survive."
Salvation Army Major Lynette Hutson said, "problem gambling is an addictive behaviour that is often more hidden than addiction to alcohol or drugs" ... "& I agree with her whole heartedly," said the pub owner knowingly, "the problem is insidious, all consuming ... why I know of several people who have given their spouse money to go away for the weekend, sold the lawnmower - that's the ride-on over there, the wife uses it to mow the lawns -sold all their furniture and made jokes about coming and living with me if they should lose ... and lost everything ... yes husband ... kids ... house ... yes, it is just a real tragedy and it just hurts me so much to see it happen ... and one or two of them have been pretty good looking you know, if it hadn't have been for the wife I would have had them over"