Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sunshine 'helps skin stay young'

A healthy dose of sunshine may be the secret to staying young, a study has found.
Vitamin D, produced naturally by the skin in response to sunlight, may help to slow the ageing process, according to scientists.
And the "sunshine vitamin" may also help protect against age-related diseases, such as heart disease.


Aha ... now what can you say ... I thought I was 'sun smart,' covered up even though I knew the worst rate of skin cancer was on the west coast of the South Island and now I find I am doomed to be a 'wizzened old wrinkly,' and aesthetics are so important to me ... I am lost for words.

4 comments:

ZenTiger said...

Seems we have our own quacks when it comes to medicine. Bet these guys had their initial work peer reviewed by 40 scientists, in the same room.

And still they got it wrong. What are the chances of that happening in this day and age?

I'm beginning to think my common sense is actually far superior to the modern secular mind of science.

ZenTiger said...

I refer of course, to the first bunch that said "only go out at night, when the moon is waning"

ZenTiger said...

They charge like vampires too.

mojo said...

Ceteris parabus conditions, 'all other things being equal,' 'everything's equal under the sun,' .. so pretty robust research for which I am sure I will one day give my heartfelt thanks ... I was always told that 'over' exposure to the sun prematurely aged one, but now, with my 'approved for healthy living' 3-4 standard drinks in the evening sun, I can relax, smugly, in the knowledge that it is all good for me.